Monday, February 15, 2010

Admiral Nelson Premium Spiced RUM


Shopping for RUM, or any spirit, is the same as ordering a drink in a bar...lower on the shelf, typically means lower the quality. When I bought my bottle of Admiral Nelson's Premium Spiced RUM, I found it on the bottom shelf at the very end of the RUM aisle. Not a good sign for any distiller but a preview of what to expect from this RUM.

I won't spend long on this RUM because it is simply not worth it. It has a light tea color, smells like of mixture of chemical, leather, light vanilla and oak.

Drinking this straight was not a good idea. The initial chemical flavor lead to a slight burn and left me with the slightest spiced vanilla flavor. Adding ice removed the burn but seemed to enhance the "skunky" flavor. Adding Coke Zero did kill the chemical taste but it somehow managed to remove all of the Coke taste too.

Generously, I give it a 2 of 10. This "spiced rum" made me long for Captain Morgan's...never a good sign.

NOTE: I have decided to re-taste Admiral Nelson's because this tasting was done off the last drops of my bottle; not the first. I am concerned that the age of the opened spirit might have effected my review. So, I will be retasting this Spiced RUM in the near future.

No comments: