Monday, January 4, 2010

Bermudez Don Armando (Ron Anejo 10 Anos)


This is a fun RUM that my bestest friend Dee Sanders brought back from Dominican Republic for me about a year ago. I'm not sure if you can get any of the Bermudez RUM line in the USA; if you cannot then that is a real shame. The only information online I found for its distribution in the USA was over a year old and the distributor listed has closed its website.

This Bermudez Don Armando RUM was good but not great. I'll admit to having higher expectations for a 10-year-old RUM. It has a slightly spicey and smokey aroma but it also holds a fairly strong alcohol smell that came with those first sniffs; surprising for an aged RUM. I also noticed hints of carmel apple and a near Scotch smell.

My 2nd surprise from this aged RUM was that its not very good at room temerature. It only improved once I put it over ice and then again over Coke Zero.

At room temerature, Don Armando has a nice iced-tea color and has no noticable legs. The first sip starts with a light alcohol burn which is followed by an even strong burn. I was glad to taste that subsequent sips found the burn to be less noticable and the carmel, cinnemon and citrus flavor to be more noticeble. With a couple of ice cubes mixed in the true flavor of this RUM was finally unearthed. Here's where the Scotch flavor returned again with a stronger carmel but true Autumn leaf flavor on show. While of much lesser notes, I also caught waves of a spicy orange flavor which made for a very nice finish.

My last tasting found me pouring a couple of ounces of Don Armando over about four ounces of Coke Zero on ice. While I found this mixture appealing from its balanced sweetness and slightly dry flavor, I now could no long distiguish the RUM from the mixture and was only able to slightly detect the aromatic remnants of light moss. A middle of the road RUM; I give it 6 of 10.

No comments: